Albania declares day of mourning as quake kills 21, injures over 600
Albanian rescuers were digging through rubble in search of survivors on Tuesday after the strongest earthquake in decades levelled buildings and trapped victims under the debris, claiming at least 21 lives and injuring more than 600 people.The 6.4 magnitude quake struck at 0254GMT, with an epicentre 34 kilometres northwest of the capital, Tirana, in the Adriatic Sea, according to the European-Mediterranean Seismological Centre.Health Minister Ogerta Manastirliu said more than 600 people had been treated for injuries, including nine hospitalised with life-threatening injuries.About 400 soldiers are putting up tents in two towns to shelter people with damaged houses.
'Don't know if they're dead'
In Thumane, soldiers, rescuers and families sifted through the rubble of a collapsed five-storey building, with relatives shouting the names of their loved ones: "Mira", "Ariela", "Selvije".The cries of people trapped inside could be heard as the search was under way, according to reporters.
'Trapped under the rubble'
Some 300 soldiers have been sent to Durres and Thumane, where "there are people trapped under the rubble", defence ministry spokeswoman Qahajaj said.About 1,900 police officers have also been deployed to help.A man in Durres told local television that his daughter and niece were trapped in the rubble of an apartment building."I talked with my daughter and niece on the phone. They said they are well and are waiting for the rescue. I could not talk to my wife. There are other families, but I could not talk to them," the man said.Tuesday's quake was the strongest to hit the Durres region since 1926, seismologist Rrapo Ormeni told local television.The tremors were felt across the Balkans, from Sarajevo in Bosnia to the Serbian city of Novi Sad almost 700 kilometres away, according to reports in local media and on social networks.
Bütün xəbərlər Facebook səhifəmizdə

USD
EUR
GBP
RUB