United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon called for the fight in Yemen to stop, SIA reports citing the AA.
"I am calling for an immediate cease-fire in Yemen by all the parties," Ban Ki-moon said at the National Press Club in Washington on Thursday. "The Saudis have assured me that they understand that there must be a political process. I call on all Yemenis to participate in good faith," he added.
A comment came a day after the UN envoy to Yemen, Jamal Benomar, announced his resignation. The veteran Moroccan diplomat was the one who helped broker a 2011 transition plan in Yemen that later unraveled.
Ban Ki-moon said that even before the latest escalation, two out of three Yemenis relied on humanitarian assistance, noting that the need for food and security had been higher than the poorest stretches of Africa.