Cybersecurity researchers have uncovered what they say is technical evidence linking the massive breach at Sony Corp's Hollywood studio with attacks in South Korea and the Middle East.
Moscow-based security software maker Kaspersky Lab said on Thursday it uncovered evidence that all three campaigns might have been launched by the same group, or facilitated by a single organisation skilled in working with destructive malware.
In 2012, cyber attackers damaged tens of thousands of computers at Saudi Arabia's national oil company and Qatar's RasGas with a virus known as Shamoon, one of the most destructive campaigns to date. Some US officials blamed Iran.
Last year, more than 30,000 PCs at South Korean banks and broadcasting companies were hit by a similar attack that cybersecurity researchers widely believe was launched from North Korea.
Kaspersky researcher Kurt Baumgartner told Reuters there are"unusually striking similarities" related to the malicious software and techniques in the two campaigns and the Nov. 24 Sony attack in which a malware dubbed "Destover" was used.