A young girl died after drinking methadone from her Tom and Jerry cup, a court has heard.
Two-year-old Sophie Jones’s drug addict parents Barry Jones, 41, and Michelle King, 29, allegedly stored the drug in her drinking cup. She was found unresponsive and covered in vomit by paramedics in Blackpool and died the next day on March 5. King has already admitted manslaughter but Jones is on trial for the same charge. The trial heard that instead of taking methadone, King sold it to other drug users and used the money to buy heroin and cocaine.
Prosecutor Jeremy Grout-Smith said that King regularly used her daughter’s Tom and Jerry drinking cup and Fruit Shoot bottles to store the drug until she could sell it.
Another 146ml of methadone was found in the couple’s back yard – a dose of 5ml is enough to harm a child. Police also discovered two child’s dummies with traces of cocaine on them.
The court heard how samples taken from the child’s hair contained traces of heroin, methadone, cocaine and diazepam, which she had ingested over a period of several months.
When questioned, Sophie’s parents said they thought she may have drunk some cider.
During the post-mortem, high traces of methadone was found in Sophie’s blood but not her stomach, which suggests it had all been digested by the time she died. The court heard that the couple had made attempts to clear the house of drugs before police arrived, but officers found the evidence hidden in the back yard. Jones denies the charge.
The trial continues.