Police are investigating the death of a 6-year-old boy in Heze, a city in east China’s Shandong Province, after he ate a lollipop he found in the yard at his home.
The boy collapsed and was foaming at mouth about 20 minutes after he ate the sweet on March 3, his family said.
They suspected the lollipop had been left by a family acquaintance who had visited earlier that day, local news website www.iqilu.com said yesterday.
The boy was taken to hospital but doctors could do nothing to save him and he died on March 5. Tests found traces of a highly-toxic rat poison in his blood.