A brand new Apple iPhone 6 burst into flames and began pouring thick smoke after it bent in an American man’s jean pocket – and the phone was so hot it sizzled when bystanders poured ice and water on it.
In a video, the phone is clearly bent – sparking fears that the searing heat and flames could be a new, terrifying side effect of bendgate.
Owner Phillip Lecter says that the bottom-burning incident occurred as he rode a rickshaw in Tucson, Arizona, and began after the vehicle tipped over – leaving him with a second-degree burn on his buttocks.
"I surveyed the rickshaw quickly and could not find anything that could have set me on fire,’ he said, in a chilling blog post recounting the incident. Then it hit me. My phone was in my pocket. The smoke was thick and I quickly laid down to get the Apple iPhone 6 out of my pocket. The smell was disturbing. I could feel my leg burning." he said.
The phone was searingly hot, Mr Lechter reports – and a video shows how water hisses and bubbles when poured onto it.
I pulled the Apple iPhone 6 out of my pocket and threw it to the side. Someone from a crowd of spectators threw a cup of water on my leg to put the fire out on my jeans. I had a leather Apple case on the phone, and the case was facing forward, and that saved my fingers from getting badly burned when i went to remove the phone from my pocket.’
Mr Lechter found that the phone had seared through his jeans and boxers right to his buttocks, leaving a four-inch second-degree burn, and a further burn on his hip.
"This was a surreal experience and if it hadn’t happened to me I wouldn’t believe it myself," he wrote.
Apple has not yet commented on the incident – and it’s unclear whether it was unique, or whether all iPhone 6 owners should fear for their rear ends.