Sleeping with your mobile charging beside you isn't uncommon but for one young mother, keeping her iPhone close at hand has had painful consequences, Daily Mail reported.
Dionne Baxter, 24, fell asleep lying across her charging iPhone 4 but woke up in agony the next day with a five inch burn on her breast, the report said.
Ms Baxter, a former warehouse worker from Purfleet in Essex, was rushed to hospital where doctors attempted to treat the wound with antibiotic cream and painkillers, according to the report.
'I sleep in the nude and this large red mark was all down one side to the nipple,' Ms Baxter revealed in an interview.
'When I touched the phone, it was so hot, I couldn't pick it up.'
Ms Baxter's experience is not the first time that unwary users have found themselves injured by an overheating iPhone. Just two weeks ago, Jake Parker, 18, woke up to find himself with a painful burn on his arm after dozing off draped over his iPhone 5. And in February, a teenage girl was left with second degree burns after her iPhone caught fire while in her back pocket at school.
The 14-year-old had just arrived for her French class at a middle school in Kennebunk, Maine, when the device spontaneously set alight and burnt her thigh and back.
Ms Baxter, whose wound later became infected, now fears that she may not be able to breastfeed a second child should she have one.
'It's dreadful,' she added. 'Imagine if my daughter had been on that side of the bed and it had burned her face.'
Apple declined to comment when approached by MailOnline.