Emil Mammadov and Javid Mammadli studied together during 11 years. Both were born in Baku and attended Baku European Lyceum. This academic year, Emil and Javid gained 667 and 685 points and were admitted to Petroleum Engineering and Chemical Engineering programmes relatively. The two school- mates, met again at Baku Higher Oil School. This is what we asked them first about. They shared their impressions:
Emil Mammadov, the PEng. student:
- I was always distinguished among the peers for my deep interest in science, which motivated me to set specific priority goals and achieve success. I would like to specifically mention the Third Place Diploma in Biology I was awarded at the Fourth Scientists of the Future National Competition jointly organized by the Ministry of Education, Ministry of Youth and Sports, Education Specialists Trade Union and Haydar Aliyev Centre in 2015. I was also awarded diplomas for active participation at the Intellectual History Week Game dedicated to the 92nd Anniversary of the National Leader Haydar Aliyev’s birth and the First Place Diploma at Physics Olympics, along with the diplomas for educational achievements and active extracurricular activities.
Javid Mammadli, ChemEng student:
- At first, my progress was not so good; however I joined the fair competition among the students and improved. One of the advantages of studying at this lyceum was improving my communication skills, which I achieved participating at various scientific conferences, workshops and other events. My presentation papers were published at a number of national scientific conferences and I managed to win the Olympics. Physics, Chemistry and History were my favourite subjects, and the first two increased my interest in science. However, I still continued taking part at various international exhibitions, such as the Scientists of the Future Project of INEPO.
What were your another achievements during your studies?
- Along with the educational achievements, I had some success in sports, too. For instance, I was awarded a Diploma for coming first in basketball competition that was included into the XXIV School Olympics organized among Baku schools by the Educational Department and Baku Youth and Sports Department. One of my priority goals was graduating with honours and being admitted to one of the well-recognized national universities. Targeting at becoming a professional, I graduated the Lyceum with Honours and the Gold Medal, and was admitted to the BHOS Petroleum Engineering programme getting 667 points at the university entrance exams organized by the SSAC.
- Along with education, some interesting activities were available. Even being a child I was engaged in volleyball, judo and basketball. Currently basketball is one of my favorite sports and I believe I can develop as a basketball player in future.
How does it feel to study at the same higher school with former classmate?
- Before gathering 685 points based on the exam results conducted by the SSAC and admission to study in Chemical Engineering Programme at BHOS on non-payment basis, I and Javid studied at Baku European Lyceum during 2004-2015. We were in the same class. We always experienced healthy competition during the school years. I hope we both will continue to achieve success like we did during the school years.
- When I was a senior student at school I made up my mind. I decided to take exam on first specialization group. One of the reasons of my success was finding myself in tough competition during the two years of preparation. One of my classmates who I was competing with was Emil. We usually tried to find the trickiest questions to ask each other. Actually, the reason was very simple: I tried to find the weakest point of my classmate I was competing with, thus creating conditions for him to focus on this very field. Comparing the trial test results we tried to surpass each other and as a result of this healthy competition we both gathered the highest results and became eligible to study at BHOS, the higher school we desired to be admitted to. Today, I and Emil, whom I have known since the first grade, are sharing the same cohort again. This is an excellent chance for us as the healthy competition started long ago will continue on for many years.